Gartan OETC has, over the past years renovated or rebuilt the old stone farm buildings and outhouses that were once the working centre of Lough Veagh House and Estate.
We completely rebuilt the west wing, which now comprises accommodation in ten cosy but spacious bedrooms, each with full ensuite facilities and all immediately overlooking Gartan Lough. The very comfortable wing also includes its own dining room and lecture room/ lounge. The upper floor is serviced by a lift for full access, and two rooms have been designed with wheelchair access in mind.
The east wing was fully renovated and extended. Our bright, spacious hostel style accommodation takes up the first floor. This wing includes dining room, stone courtyard, an indoor climbing wall, various outdoor equipment stores, and shower and changing rooms. Our offices are also housed here.
Both wings are serviced by an excellent kitchen (and of course our catering staff).
The Boathouse, less than 100 meters along the lake shore from the main centre, is almost a centre in itself. This beautiful wood and stone building, comfortably heated solely by biomass wood pellet, enjoys superb views over Gartan Lough, with woodland on either side.
An excellent venue for small conferences, training and special events, the Boathouse has its own changing/showering and other facilities.
Our environmental education provision is based here. Again a platform lift allows full access to both floors.
Facilities in the main building include:
- Accommodation is in two wings, one with rooms and ensuite facilities overlooking the lake, the other bright, spacious hostel style – 96 beds in total
- Two dining rooms, one in each wing, and a state of the art kitchen which serves great food
- Indoor climbing wall especially suited to teaching the basics, and developing skills
- Indoor stone built courtyard, suited to many purposes
- Changing rooms and showers, and equipment stores
- Lecture rooms and workrooms
- Recreation rooms
- Wi-fi Access
- On site parking
The Boathouse facilities:
- Woodchip boiler and underfloor heating system
- Conference room with great views. This beautiful long, slightly curved room can be used for many purposes
- Archery hall
- Orienteering/Field Studies room and ’wet’ lecture room
- Changing and showering facilities including wheelchair access
- Platform lift
- Equipment stores and drying room
Our home, this wonderful old estate of 87 acres, with 1 kilometre of lakeshore, provides many walks with lovely views.
Once a working farm, and known locally as Lough Veagh Estate and House, it gave its name to our Boathouse. As we get used to our new sustainable energy boiler, it is our intention to grow our own willow on the Estate, thus providing our own fuel.
Also situated on the Estate is the St Colmcille Heritage Centre.
Come and see the Estate, the Boathouse, the Main Centre, the Heritage Centre and the views for yourself.